Healthy Hearts reaching students in St. Vrain Valley School District
Longs Peak Hospital Foundation is going beyond the hospital walls and making community health initiatives a priority for philanthropic focus. UCHealth’s school-based Healthy Hearts program provides free heart health education and blood pressure, BMI, and cholesterol screenings to elementary, middle, and high school students. In northern Colorado, 39,000 students have been screened since the program’s inception 26 years ago. The foundation is focusing on expanding the program reach to serve students in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
The Healthy Hearts mission is to inspire and
empower students to:
- Live a heart healthy lifestyle.
- Prevent heart disease.
- Learn signs and symptoms of heart attack and stroke.
- Learn lifesaving hands-only CPR and AED use.
Healthy Hearts school-based screenings show that on average:
- 27% of students are overweight or obese.
- 23% of students have borderline or high cholesterol.
Healthy Hearts recapture data—2,000 elementary students rescreened in high school:
- 87% lowered their total cholesterol or maintained it in the recommended range (<170).
- 59% with elevated cholesterol (≥170) lowered to the recommended range.
- 60% of overweight or obese students lowered their BMI percentile, with 29% lowering to a healthy range.
You can help us create a healthier future for the next generation with a gift to support Healthy Hearts.
Consider your impact in St. Vrain Valley School district:
$250 provides Healthy Hearts education for 17 students.
$2,500 supports Healthy Hearts curriculum offerings in one school.
$10,000 expands Healthy Hearts to four schools, reaching 700 students.
Make your gift today by using the form below and designating your contribution to “LPH Healthy Hearts.”
All gifts to Longs Peak Hospital Foundation are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Please consult with your tax advisor for information regarding your tax deduction. Thank you for helping to make the Longmont area a healthy place to live!
Sign up for updates
Be the first to know about Longs Peak Hospital Foundation events, news, and updates. Sign up for our newsletter!